Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Salsa

Tonight Jason and I made one our favorite dishes! We got the idea for this yummy creation while standing in line at HEB. We have tweaked the recipe since then and it truly is a flavor explosion!!! Let me start by saying that grilled pineapple and purple onion, combined, is an unbeatable combination. From start to finish, this meal took us about an hour to prepare and cook. Definitely worth every minute!

Ingredients:
- 2 cups of Zesty Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 large red onion
- 1 fresh jalapeno, cut in half (remove seeds)
- 1 can of sliced pineapple rings in 100% juice

Directions:

  1. Mix the Italian dressing, brown sugar, cilantro, orange juice, and a little of the juice from the pineapples in a bowl.
  2. Pour 3/4 of the mixture over the chicken to marinate. I also seasoned the chicken with garlic powder, Greek seasoning, and black pepper. I only marinate the chicken for 15 minutes, but of course the longer, the better!
  3. Cut the red onion into slices. Grill the slices of onion, jalapeno, and pineapple for a few minutes on both sides (just to add flavor). Remove from grill and dice up. Add to remaining sauce mixture to make the salsa.
  4. Grill chicken.
  5. Add salsa to the chicken.
  6. Voila!


Here is a picture of everything on the grill. Note: to save time, I diced the onion and grilled it on foil instead of putting it straight on the grill. Either way works! I also cut up some fresh zucchini and squash and grilled that, too! Delish!


Here is a picture of the finished product! I cut up a fresh avocado to eat with the chicken- a great addition! This recipe seems a little hectic, only because it's a little out of the ordinary. But it's fairly simple and SO good. Try it and let me know what you think! (Click on the picture to enlarge it)

  
      Get Cookin'!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it. I'm adding you to my favorite blogs so I don't miss any recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! I'm Loving this! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete