Friday, June 10, 2011

This is NOT a Casserole!

Tonight I tried something brand new. Let me say that I never, never, never use the word "casserole" because it doesn't even begin to hint to the fact that something delish is being served! The word "casserole" actually makes me think of the three B's: Bland, Boring, and Bad ingredients! This dish, however, is none of those things!

I think I will call it: Italian Chicken Awesomeness. Yes. That pretty much sums it up! I got this recipe from the back of a package of Lawry's seasoning mix.

I always go to the seasoning isle to find new inspirations for recipes. I'm such a "foodie;" looking at the seasoning isle is just as fun for me as buying a new pair of shoes. Sad, I know. Until the other day, I had never seen Lawry's seasoning mixes- I usually only see McCormick. I found this one at Wal-Mart and instantly I was hooked. I love Lawry's brand, so I knew I had to try this. The recipe on the back was super simple and only calls for a few ingredients. There is only one downfall to this.... It has to bake in the oven for about an hour. Yikes! Who has that kind of time on a weekday? Certainly not me. But it really is worth it!

Ingredients:
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups of pasta (I used bowtie)
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese

Directions:
1) Put the uncooked pasta in the bottom of a 13x9 pan
2) Season the chicken breasts (I used garlic powder, basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, and Greek seasoning) and put them on top of the pasta
3) In a separate bowl, mix the water, can tomatoes, and seasoning mix
4) Pour the liquid around the chicken breasts, over the pasta
5) Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked
6) Cover with feta cheese before serving

Here is a picture of the creation, plated and ready to eat:

I hardly EVER follow a recipe exactly...But today I did. I really wanted to see what it was "supposed" to taste like. Next time I make this, I will definitely add a few things.  I think some fresh veggies (like onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc) will make a huge difference in the flavor. I will also add some mozzarella cheese to the top, in addition to the feta. Last, I'm working on a marinade for the chicken. I like to cook (and eat) things that are full of flavor, and I know that marinating the chicken first will make this dish explode with flavor.

I found a few more Lawry's seasoning mixes online-- I will try these soon! (Sorry the picture is hard to see- it's the best one I could find.)


     Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment