Saturday, July 2, 2011

Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken


Yesterday I proclaimed that I would never buy salsa from a grocery store again because I found a delish and easy recipe. Today I'm proclaiming that I will never buy BBQ sauce from a store again! This was the easiest BBQ chicken ever- and Oh. So. Good! I cannot believe how simple and quick of a meal this was-- while we were eating we kept saying, "Why haven't we thought of this sooner!?" We used drumsticks but you can use any bone-in chicken you'd like!

Ingredients:
- 12 whole chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1/4 cup of onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup of molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons of chipotle adobo sauce (the sauce the chipotle peppers are packed in)

I had never heard of the adobo sauce until this recipe. I found it with the Mexican peppers and chilies. Here's what the can looks like:

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly season chicken and place on a broiler pan (or any pan with a rack) and roast for 20 minutes.
2) While the chicken is roasting, heat canola oil in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook for five minutes.
3) Reduce heat to low, add all remaining ingredients and stir. Allow to simmer while the chicken roasts. Taste the sauce after simmering and add whatever ingredient it needs to fit your pallet (more spice, more sugar, etc.)
4) After 20 minutes of roasting, crank on the broiler to get a little color on the legs. Broil for 5-10 minutes.
5) Remove chicken from oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. With tongs, dip each drumstick into the sauce, submerging completely. Place back onto the pan. After all the chicken is coated, return pan to oven for 5-8 minutes, or until hot and sizzling.
6) Remove from oven. Brush generously with remaining sauce.

Here's a picture of the final plate- I made some homemade potato salad and BBQ beans to go with this delicious chicken. YUMMY!

Adjustments for Next Time:

  • I think I will add a little mustard to the sauce. The sauce already has the perfect amount of sweetness and spice- it just needs a little more tangy-ness (yes I just made up that word).
  • I might also cut back on the amount of brown sugar... Just to see!
  • I also think that I will leave the chicken under the broiler for a little longer to make it a little bit more crispy on the outside.
  • NOTE: This sauce would be amazing on pork! I can't wait to try it.
I hope you enjoy this!

     Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment