Saturday, March 17, 2012

Restaurant Style Steaks

I saw this post on a food blog and I thought it was so interesting! I have eaten at many "fancy" steak houses and I have always noticed how different their steaks taste from home cooked steaks. I knew they used a different method-- but I didn't think that cooking them in a cast iron skillet was the trick. But it is! Jason and I decided to try it. We were skeptical at first but oh my! This was delicious. And surprisingly so easy. The steaks came out so tender and full of flavor. They really did taste just like a steakhouse. Sometimes I really want that backyard, grilled taste. But other times I want more of the steakhouse taste and I'm so glad we tried this! We will definitely make this again.

Ingredients:
- 2, 8 ounce filet mignons
- 4 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Directions:
1) Take 1/2 stick of butter, softened, and mix with garlic, chopped herbs, and lemon zest. Form into a log and refrigerate.
2) Generously season the filets with the salt and pepper, approx. 1 teaspoon of each per side.
3) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then heat the other 1/2 stick of butter and olive oil in a cast iron skillet to a screaming hot temperature (on the stove).
4) Sear the filets in the pan for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until a nice brown crust has formed. While the steak is searing, continue to spoon the residual butter in the pan on top of the meat while it's cooking.
5) Once both sides are seared, place the entire skillet in center of the over for about 8 minutes, depending on how thick your steaks are. 8 minutes will give you about a medium steak.
6) In the last minute of cooking, take the log of butter and slice a nice thick piece to place on top.
7) Voila! It's that simple. Really. And so, so delish!

  Get Cookin'!

3 comments:

  1. The best steaks...you can add any seasoning lightly to enhance your own flavors. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if I do not own a cast iron skillet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cast iron skillet is best, but you can use any pot that can go on the stove and in the oven.

    ReplyDelete