Friday, August 10, 2012

Easy Chicken Marsala


Jason and I ate dinner at a very dear friend's house this summer. She made chicken cordon bleu with a marsala cream sauce. It was amazing! There's nothing better than great food mixed with great company! Ever since then I've been thinking of recreating her recipe. I came across this recipe on Pinterest and decided to go for it! This was my very first time to make chicken marsala and it turned out great! And surprisingly it was fairly quick and easy. I served it with some bow tie pasta- I will definitely be making this again very soon. I followed the recipe exactly- but my sauce didn't turn out quite like the one in the blogpost. It was a little too runny-- so I added some extra heavy cream, chicken broth, and instant brown gravy mix. That really did the trick! The recipe below is adapted from the original recipe on I found on Pinterest. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (The original recipe says to cut the chicken breasts in half and pound them. I skipped that step by buying HEB's chicken breasts that are "young chicken" and "thinly sliced")
- 1/2 cup of flour
- About 1 cup of veg. oil- depending on the size of your pan
- 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of sweet Marsala wine (next time I might add a little less)
- 1/4 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of sherry or dry white wine (next time I might add a little less)
- heavy whipping cream, as needed
- instant brown gravy mix, as needed
- salt, pepper, thyme, basil, garlic powder

Directions:
1) Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place some flour on a plate and dredge each piece of chicken in it.
2) Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Pan fry each piece of chicken for 2-4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown. Remove chicken and place them on a serving platter.
3) In a separate pan, melt butter and add mushrooms. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Saute mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add marsala wine, white wine, chicken stock, and a few tablespoons of cream. Bring to a boil and then let simmer, allowing the liquid to reduce. At this point, taste the sauce and see what it needs. This is when I added a little bit of thyme, basil, and instant brown gravy mix (for color and thickness). I also added a little more cream to give the sauce more of a rich taste.
4) Pour mushrooms and sauce over chicken and serve. Voila!

  Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment