Sunday, June 12, 2011

Apple-Ginger Egg Rolls



I love to cook, but I'm not too fond of baking! Today I decided to try something new. I found this recipe in a magazine, and I love egg rolls, so I thought it was worth trying! I doubted the recipe until I tasted it- so delish! We actually ate this for dinner--- don't judge! haha. The filling sort of tastes like apple pie filling mixed with cream cheese. YUM! This dessert would definitely be a crowd pleaser, and it's super easy to eat.

I have never worked with phyllo (fillo) dough, and I have to admit that it was a little difficult until I figured it out. I'll try to explain it well below. Note: Phyllo paper can be found in any grocery store, in the freezer section, near the frozen pies.

Ingredients:
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1teaspoon of ground ginger
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 5 sheets of thawed frozen phyllo dough, cut in half vertically (10 halves)
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Optional Toppings: powdered sugar, fresh strawberries, sugar granules

Directions:
1) Peel, core, and dice apples.
2) Combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and apples in a bowl. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
3) Add cream cheese to the bowl and mix well.
4) Lay 1/2 sheet of phyllo paper on a cutting board and spray with cooking spray.
5) Put 2 tablespoons of filling about 1 inch from one of the sides of the paper.
6) Start rolling the paper with the 1 inch, folding the sides in as you roll (to make an eggroll).
7) Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Lightly brush with melted butter.

Bake egg rolls at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar, sugar granules, and fruit.

     Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment