Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Homemade Monkey Bread



Why is this delish breakfast treat/dessert/snack referred to ask "Monkey Bread?" What does it even have to do with these 2 things?

 


Monkeys?






Sliced bread?


Absolutely nothing! The name bothered me so badly that I decided to "Google" it. Here are a few theories:
1) It's called "Monkey Bread" because the act of several people pulling at the bread is reminiscent of monkey-like behavior.
2) It's called "Monkey Bread" because it resembles the monkey puzzle tree (whatever that is).

BUT...Here is my favorite explanation of the name, and in my opinion the most appropriate:

3) It's called "Monkey Bread" because it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Hahaha. I love it!


Anyway...Enough of the monkey business! (I am cracking myself up here with all this monkeying around!) Ok. Seriously. I will stop.

I think I was in middle school when I had Monkey Bread for the first time. One of my closest friend's mom made this for us and I was in heaven! I could not believe the cinnamon and sugar goodness. So when I came across a recipe for this I just had to try it! The recipe was so easy and it made my whole house smell like a bakery!

Ingredients:
- 2 cans of Pillsbury Honey Butter biscuits (this is a picture of the junior biscuits, I just used the regular sized ones)






- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 sticks of butter (Yeaaaa, this isn't really a 'healthy' snack. Just so you know!)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Open up the cans of biscuits and cut each biscuit into quarters.
3) Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a gallon size Ziploc bag and add biscuit pieces.
4) Shake violently until all pieces are coated and not sticking together.
5) Spread the pieces evenly in a bundt pan. I did not have a bundt pan so I just used a rectangular foil pan and it worked great!
6) Melt the 2 sticks of butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Stir until fully mixed together.
7) Pour over the pieces- it will look like alot of liquid but don't worry!
8) Bake for about 40 minutes- until the crust on top is a dark brown.
9) Use another pan to flip over the monkey bread and bake for another 10 minutes or so.

10) Voila! Try not to eat the whole pan at one time. It will be very, very hard...But try!

     Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment