Thursday, July 7, 2011

Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork with Jalapeno-Cilantro Slaw



Ok, ok...I know this sounds weird. Trust me. I was skeptical up until the very last minute when I tasted this delicious concoction. I have always heard of people cooking with beer, coke, Dr. Pepper, etc. but it has never really appealed to me...Until now. I saw this recipe on the Pioneer Woman's blog, and since I have grown to love her so much, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm so glad I did!

This pulled pork is the perfect mix of sweetness and spice. Oddly enough it doesn't taste anything like Dr. Pepper! It is BBQ-esque but doesn't need any sauce. It's just plain good. That's the only way to describe it!

Ingredients (for roast and slaw):
- 1 whole pork shoulder roast (buy one that's really lean)
- 1 whole onion, peeled and diced
- 1 can (7.5 ounce) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans of Dr. Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Tony's
- a package of pre-made coleslaw mix with dressing
- 1 whole jalapeno, thinly sliced
- a handful of cilantro, barely chopped
- some sort of buns (I use kaiser rolls)

Directions for roast:
1) Generously salt and pepper the pork roast and then sprinkle with garlic powder and Tony's.
2) Place the roast in the slow cooker.
3) Pour the cans of chipotle peppers and Dr. Pepper over the pork.
4) Place the chopped onion and brown sugar in the slow cooker and stir.
5) Cook on high for at least 6 hours- the roast should be falling apart.
6) Remove meat from pot and place on cutting board, Use two forks to shred meat and then return to cooking liquid.

Directions for slaw:
1) Put coleslaw mix in a bowl.
2) Add a little of the dressing along with a little ranch dressing. Be careful not to put too much because the slaw will get soggy.
3) Add the sliced jalapeno and cilantro and mix in with the coleslaw.
4) Add a few squeezes of fresh lime juice to really make this delish!

Put the pulled pork and slaw on a bun- and get ready for a flavor explosion! If you like pulled pork, you will love this spicy, Dr. Pepper twist!

    Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment