Monday, November 7, 2011

Crock Pot Sunday?: Macaroni and Cheese


I have been wanting to try this recipe for so long because Jason loves macaroni and cheese! The only problem is that I cannot make anything in my crock pot during the week that can't be cooked for at least 6-8 hours (because I'm gone all day and have no way to turn it off). This recipe only needs to be cooked in the crock pot for 2 hours- so I decided to try it yesterday.  It was really good! It was very rich and creamy.  I didn't really notice that much difference from Velveeta's Shells and Cheese in the box, but Jason said he could definitely tell the difference. Mac and cheese isn't on my list of favorites so his taste buds are a much better judge.

The only downfall is that this recipe makes a TON. I would definitely cut the recipe in half. Below the full recipe is listed.

Ingredients:
- 16 ounces of elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 can of cheddar cheese soup
- 10 ounces of Velveeta, cubed
- 8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tablespoon of salt and pepper (I just put the pepper, no salt)
- 1/2 cup of half-and-half, as needed (I used a little more than this)

Directions:
1) Cook the macaroni noodles for 6-8 minutes, or just until al dente.
2) While pasta is cooking, add soup and Velveeta to the crock pot to warm up.
3) When pasta is done, drain and add to the crock pot.
4) Add the cheddar cheese and butter. Stir all ingredients so that the cheese is evenly distributed.
5) Add seasoning and half-and-half as needed, to keep the pasta moist and prevent it from becoming too sticky.
6) Cook the mac and cheese on low for 2 hours. Do not overcook or the pasta will become mushy. Stir occasionally and add a little half-and-half each time.
7) Voila!

  Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment