Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Regular" Lime Pie


I called this "Regular" because I didn't use key-limes. I used regular limes, and I'm happy to report that the pie turned out delish! One thing I really loved about this pie was the crust. It was just about as thick as the filling of the pie and so good! I wish I could also say that the recipe was quick and easy...It's fairly quick and fairly easy. The only problem is that you will need 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice and I don't have a juicer! So I hand-squeezed about 7 limes to make the 1/2 cup! Yes, I was determined. You will also need about 1 tablespoon of lime zest. That equals out to about 6 limes! So it was sort of a pain- but fairly easy.

Crust Ingredients: (If you don't want to do this, just use a pre-made graham cracker crust)
- 18 whole graham crackers (the 4 section large pieces)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of melted butter

Filling Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime zest
- 1/2 a cup of fresh lime juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- whipped cream (for topping)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Crush graham crackers in food processor. 
3) Pour them in a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter.
4) Press into pie pan and bake for 5-8 minutes, or until golden and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
5) In another bowl, mix together lime zest, juice, and egg yolks. 
6) Add in condensed milk and beat on high until smooth and think. 
7) Pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.
8) Remove from oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
9) Top with whipped cream before serving.
10) Voila!

I know there are lots of great recipes out there for "regular" lime pie. Do you have an easy one? Please share it by posting a comment below!

     Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment