Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fancy French Toast


I have a confession to make. I will eat just about anything, but I actually do not like French toast. Weird, I know. Something about soggy bread just turns me away (also why I stay away from bread pudding, dumplings, and tiramisu). But, Jason is quite the opposite. He loves it! So because I am the best wife ever, I decided to try the Pioneer Woman's version of French toast for breakfast this morning. Jason loved it- he said it was the best he's ever eaten (YES! Major points for me. Not only did I cook something that I didn't eat, but it was delish! haha).

The reason I call this "fancy" is because she doesn't use regular, sliced bread. And she adds something to her mixture that I've never heard before- lemon zest. When I read the recipe- I was skeptical, like usual. And once again Ree Drummond was right!

Ingredients:
- 1 loaf of crusty bread (like a French loaf or baguette)
- 4 whole egg yolks (discard the egg whites)
- 2 cups of half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- syrup and powdered sugar for serving

Directions:
1) Cut bread into sliced 1/2 inch thick.
2) Mix together the egg yolks, half-and-half, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla.
3) Dip bread slices in the mixture, remove and set aside.
4) Heat skillet or griddle over medium heat. Sizzle about a tablespoon of butter in the pan.
5) Cook French toast on both sides until golden brown, be careful not to burn!
6) Top with powdered sugar and/or syrup and enjoy!

The Pioneer Woman serves her French toast with homemade berry butter. It sounds super delish! I didn't make any today but I want to try it soon.

     Get Cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment